Monday, February 15, 2016

Communicating...so much more than "repeat after me & 1,2,3"

For my American friends you may remember mastering counting from 1 - 10 in Spanish  (credits I think to Sesame Street) for my Thai friends perhaps it was counting in English.

After mastering Hello and Thank you I think it was counting that came next for me here. Today I struggle to recite my telephone number in English but it rolls off quite clearly in Thai.

I am fortunate to be communicating fairly well these days, add to that opportunities to meet new people with shared desires to serve children and the conversations are quite rich in context. I give great thanks for this.

It's also been...not sure what word I'm looking for. You see now that I can communicate more clearly it leads to others feeling comfortable to make inquiries. I've always considered myself an open book so this is fine by me. The conversations with new people contain talk of Tyra. To be able to describe that my daughter lacked verbal language but live a full happy life while being educated along her non-disabled peers is wonderful to share.

and then... the numbers.
Today  -  "Leuk ayu tao rai?" How old is your child
                "Leuk sao chan sia chiwit 6 pi ti leaw" My daughter died 6 years ago  

and because it's February and Birthdays are special days

                "Tae wansuk-na bpen wan gert yee-sib see , next Friday is 24 birthday

and it 'hit' me that next month - I'll need to change my conversation to say "Leuk sao chan sia chiwit jet pi ti leaw" My daughter died 7 years ago.

Numbers...well...they suck, in multiple languages.

So grateful to have the words to say "chiwit tee dee, mi kwam suk, rian ruam, puen yuhr"

GOOD LIFE, HAPPY, Learn together ie inclusion, MANY FRIENDS

To be the mother of a child that LIVED.

LIFE & COMMUNICATION so so so much more than numbers

No comments:

Post a Comment