Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Rainbow Connection...

"Why are there so many songs about rainbows..."

Our dear friend Holly gave me this plate during a recent visit. I had not remembered sharing with her about The Rainbow Connection but in true Holly style - she had :-)

Tyra, while having much to say, did not speak verbally. Throughout her school years she had the wonderful fortune of being provided with various assistive technology devices to give her an audible voice. One of these devices was her Dynavox. Tyra enjoyed being a part of classroom activities through the use of her Dynavox. Songs were always a part of Elementary School lessons and for any of you that are familiar with voice output augmentative communication systems, particularly those of years past, they were far from melodic in their output. The Dynavox did have an option that allowed you (ie Mom) to program in song form - note by note - word by word. I bought several songbooks over the years to allow Tyra to sing somewhat in tune. Two songs that were not in the circletime rotation but were labors of love to program and music to my ears were... Rainbow Connection & Do You Hear What I Hear?

I can still hear them... and I believe Kermit and the Dynavox voice of years past were kindred spirits ;-)


A little more about Rainbow Connections...

Many of you know that I have been accepted to exchange service - it is I who receive far more than I give -
with an organization serving children and adults with developmental disabilities in Thailand. I am so grateful for this opportunity. I hope to be able to share more specifics on this organization as time progresses but will move slowly in this area. What I will share is the name of the camp they hold twice a year.
 Rainbow Friendship Camp
Twice a year staff, families, and volunteers take the children and adults to the beach for 3-days in the sun & surf. I look forward to being a part of this experience and in viewing their photos... I saw such a sweet reflection...

These photos are not from Thailand. These photos were taken during Tyra's Middle School field trips to Assateague. Tyra loved every second - the crazier the wave the better. I delighted in her JOY and have such gratitude for the ability to physically support her. Again, I know the lessons she taught me will continue to serve others.


Serving others... This CONNECTION has been shouting out to me in recent days. Today I edited a list and then shared it with my co-workers. This list included the names of men, women, and children I have had the privilege of supporting for the past 13 years. This list included the names of some men and women I first met in my early teens, while I performed community service. Service??? It is I who have been served. "My People" my co-workers hear this often. I don't know if it comes out as it is intended. It is in no way meant to imply 'ownership' it is because they are "My People", "my tribe", "my community"... I have learned more about grace, gratitude, and JOY than I could ever hope to explain from "My People". 

I have struggled with the thought that I am leaving them, that I am physically leaving so many people that MATTER so very much to me. I've known "good-byes". My mom when I was 12, my dad at 22, and my sweet Tyra 4 years ago. I do not however have much experience on the initiating end. I'm a 'committer'. I have grown up on the very grounds of the space where I now earn a living - some 28 years. I have lived in the same apartment complex since my senior year of high school - 25 years. Shucks, I've managed to keep the same phone number that we were first assigned in 1973. So, while I have been sporting a perma-grin of excitement it is not without heaviness in my heart. 

I do my best to recognize this heaviness as a fullness. Just as I delighted in physically carrying Tyra through the surf and just as I take comfort in carrying my mom, dad, Tyra and others who have physically left in my heart I will no doubt carry the ones who I am physically leaving there as well. Thankfully, it's a pretty wide open space :-)

So... I think I've found the Rainbow Connection. It is in our shared humanity. We are connected through our hearts.

I have a favor of sorts to ask of my local friends. If you happen upon someone who you recognize may have a limitation... would you please offer them a smile? Would you please remind yourself that this may be one of  "Nicole's People"? Would you please recognize that we are all "One people"? We are born members of the social network called Humanity.

"Some day we'll find it, the Rainbow Connection. The Lovers, the Dreamers, and Me Us"

No comments:

Post a Comment